Top 10 Lists
For your convenience, I’ll publish my ‘Top 10 Lists’ heard on the morning show, Wake Up! (1380AM/690FM – www.catholiccommunityradio.org) in South Louisiana, Thursday mornings from 7-8am CST.
Top 10 things to do as a Family in 2016 to strengthen your faith:
- Take the entire family to Confession once/month (as often as you can).
- Start a family Rosary (after dinner or before bed times).
- Plan to get to Mass 10 minutes early & stay 5 minutes afterward to spend a few more minutes with Our Blessed Lord.
- Make Sundays special and eliminate unnecessary activities so you can focus on family and looking after your neighbor, sick relatives, etc.
- Encourage each member to develop a devotion to their patron saint – learn and share things about your saints with each other.
- Discuss the ‘last things’ (death, judgement, heaven, hell, purgatory, etc.) at the dinner table and pray for the poor souls in purgatory.
- Read together one paragraph/day from an edifying book such as the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina or Archbishop Fulton J Sheen’s Life of Christ.
- Set your phone alarms to 3pm (to repeat daily) to remind yourself to recite The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy.
- Plan to do one Holy Hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament as a family.
- Take the whole family to the (March 5th) Louisiana Chesterton Conference – www.ChestertonBR.com for more details
Top 10 Christmas gifts for friends & family to help further the Kingdom of God:
- Children – 4 Books of Advent: St. Nicholas, The 12 Days of Christmas, Papa Panov’s Special Day, The Christmas Story – www.memoriaprss.com
- Children – Nativity play set – $36.95 – www.catholiccompany.com
- Coffee Drinkers – Fresh Roasted Coffee and accessories –Heavenly Roast Coffee at www.heavenlyroastcoffee.com or Mystic Monk Coffee from the Carmelite monks of Wyoming – www.mysticmonkcoffee.com
- Everyone – something by or about G.K. Chesterton – coffee mug, beer stein, books, DVD’s www.chesterton.org
- Everyone else – (especially students, seminarians, etc) in South Louisiana – tickets to the 2nd Louisiana Chesterton Conference – www.ChestertonBR.com
- Anyone need to develop prayer life? – Divine Office app – only $9.99 or free if you do it on your computer – www.DivineOffice.org
- Someone who is suffering? A Voice from Calvary, a book by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen – www.catholiccompany.com
- Contemplative Souls? My Confraternity – Library Box Set – Contains: My Daily Bread, My Daily Life, My Meditations on the Gospel, My Meditations on St. Paul, My Way of Life – available at Tan Books, www.Tanbooks.com.
- Everyone – Any gift from your local Catholic book store – support these good people and their apostolates while finding a myriad of gifts.
- Yourself – an hour in the presence of Our Lord in the Tabernacle.
Top 10 List to make this the best Advent ever…
- Celebrate the whole season – use your candles, your wreaths, your purple and rose-colored bows.
- Make your New Year’s resolutions during the liturgical New Year – Advent – get a head start especially on your spiritual resolutions.
- Put lights up inside and outside your home to proclaim that someone special (Our Lord) is indeed coming (and coming back!)
- Celebrate the 3rd Sunday in Advent, Gaudete (Rejoice!) Sunday with a party, get-together or something special.
- Take the whole family to confession (and then for ice-cream afterwards!)
- Read Frances Chesterton’s poem How far is it to Bethlehem? keep a copy posted on the refrigerator or where family and friends can see.
- Get your carolers ready ahead of time for singing to your friends and neighbors (sheet music and practice singing ahead of time) to go caroling Christmas Eve.
- Read Taylor Marshall’s (www.taylormarshall.com) free book God’s Birthday: Why Christ Was Born on Dec. 25th so you can refute all those naysayers who say otherwise.
- Send out religious Christmas cards with religious stamps.
- Be the first to say Merry Christmas to everyone because Christmas is for everyone!